Irish desserts are world-famous. The Irish snacking or desserts options such as Irish Apple Pie, Shamrock Shakes, Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce, Porter Cake, or Irish Cake are great contributions of Irish cuisine to foodies all over the world. The most important aspect is that Irish dessert recipes are simple to prepare.
Irish oatmeal cake is an old-fashioned cake but still, people love it irrespective of age. This recipe may be familiar to you as your grandma made it for you.
Irish Oatmeal Cake – An Old-fashioned Cake That Tastes Like Grandma Made For You!
The main ingredient of the cake is oatmeal which is soaked in boiling water to make it soft. Then only you can feel the perfect texture and moisture. One of the reasons for the popularity of Irish oatmeal cake is its easy way of preparation.
No tasty cake can be as easy as an Irish oatmeal cake. The cake can be eaten warm. So there is no need for hours for the cake to get cool.
Irish Oatmeal Cake
- Mixing bowls
- Greaseproof paper to line your cake tin
- Cake tin
- Spoon or spatula to stir the ingredients together
- Hand mixture
- 1 Cup Old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 ¼ Cup Boiling water
- 1 Stick Softened unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 ½ Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 6 tbsp Unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- ⅔ Cup Brown sugar
- ¾ Cup Chopped walnuts
- 1 Cup Flaked coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tbsp Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Combine the oatmeal with the boiling water in a small bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Take a medium bowl and cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Whisk the vanilla and egg together in another small bowl.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in another bowl until well blended
- Add the egg mixture and oatmeal mixture and stir until combined.
- Then add the sugar or butter mixture to the egg or oatmeal mixture and stir until combined.
- Then add the egg or oatmeal mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Then pour into a baking pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes until it is golden brown.
- See that the toothpick comes out clean.
- You can make the icing while the cake e is baking.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add coconuts, walnuts, and vanilla.
- Adjust your oven to broil immediately after you removed the cake.
- Spread the icing on the hot cake and keep it in the oven until it is a bit brown and the coconut is toasted.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
It is a very flexible dessert. You can apply like sand dislikes freely to here. If you hate coconut you can decide not to add it. You can add nuts only if you them or double them if you love them a lot. Raisins can also be added if you love them.
Storage and serving suggestions
Here are a few things to be noted down while serving and storing Irish oatmeal cake.
- You don’t want to wait for the cake to be cool. You can eat it warm.
- Being a dessert, you can enjoy Irish oatmeal cake with any of your favorite drinks.
- The covered oatmeal cake is safe at room temperature for 2 days.
- The oatmeal cake is safe in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- It can be frozen for 10 days in an air-tight container. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Bring it to room temperature before eating.
It is very important to note down the nutritious values and health benefits of Irish oatmeal. It is a low-calorie food. It can be a part of your health loss diet if you are ready to reduce the quantity of sugar that you are adding. Try and enjoy the Irish Oatmeal cake recipe.