Long gone are the days of chicken noodle soup.
With the weather we’re having now, the last thing I want is a bowl of warm broth.
No, It’s time for watermelon
- 6 cups watermelon, chopped
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 celery hearts, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon lime juice (from 2 large limes)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Puree the watermelon in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, toss the cucumber, peppers, celery, onion, herbs, lime juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the watermelon puree over the vegetables, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour. Taste and season with more salt and black pepper. Serve very cold for best taste.
It sounds like a weird dish, I know. But trust me, It does not taste weird in the slightest.
With the perfect mix of sweet and savory, this watermelon soup may be the best fruit soup you’ve ever had!
So puree a watermelon, grab a bowl, and lounge in the sun while slurping up your soup.
(Also, I apologize about the pictures. I’m aware that they aren’t the best, but I wanted to post this recipe anyway because it really is a good one.)