I wanted to try quinoa tonight. But, i had a little problem.
I was feeling like a meat eater. And most quinoa recipes are salads. Now that just wouldn’t do.
So . . . i had to look extra hard for something that involved some sort of meat to fit my craving. And finally, VICTORY!
Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf
(makes 5 servings)
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, diced
1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey (there’s that meat i wanted)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon water
Here are the steps:
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and all the water has been absorbed. This should take 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 F.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes clear and translucent. Remove from heat to let cool.
- Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, around 50 minutes. Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.