There’s a high of 80 degrees today, the trees have begun to sprout bright green leaves, there’s not a cloud in the blue sky, and I’m posting a recipe with pumpkin. Oops?
In my opinion, pumpkin is not only a food for fall and winter. It may lend itself to warm spices and the likes, but that doesn’t mean it can’t taste delicious in recipes perfect for spring and summer, too!
Originally, these were going to be regular Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I discovered halfway through making them that I was out of applesauce. The pumpkin can caught my eye, and it made a perfect substitution. The pumpkin taste in these cookies is definitely noticeable, but not overpowering. You can still taste the melty chocolate and vanilla, the flavors have just been bumped up to the next level with the addition of some squash.
The cookies are also super soft, and perfect right out of the oven. They make your whole house smell yummy, so no one in my family protested when I served them a pumpkin cookie in May. These cookies are just too darn good for complaints!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup cane sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 egg white
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or spelt or white)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat ovento 350F. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper/a silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg white, pumpkin, and vanilla. Try to get the sugar to dissolve as much as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients (flour, baking soda, chocolate chips). Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly until a thick dough has formed.
- Form balls of dough about 1 tbsp and place on prepared baking sheets 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes, until cookies are firm. Allow cookies to cool completely before removing from pan. Recipe makes about 1 dozen large cookies. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
The Smart Cookie
Happy warm weather everyone! Be sure to spend some time outside this weekend!