Hey, happy summer!
That’s right, folks, we made it. Today, June 21st, marks the first official day of summer. Days are getting longer, weather is getting warmer, and, in the food realm of the world, people are probably trying not to use their ovens, lest their homes match the 90 degree weather outside.
Well, fear not, my friends, for I come bearing a no-bake recipe that will feed the whole family sans any use of the oven. It takes 10 minutes to throw together, it can be stored easily in the freezer, and there’s a 0% chance that making it will make your home any warmer.
I give you the always delicious, always popular, always quick to disappear because they’re that good Peanut Butter Cereal Bar. This is just a basic recipe that you can play with and tweak any way you want, but it’s my go-to for breakfast and snacks during the summer months. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
3 cups cereal of choice (I used 2 cups Cheerios and 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried apricot, diced
- Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper.
- Combine peanut butter and honey in a small cereal bowl. Microwave in 15 second intervals until drippy. Set aside
- In a large bowl, mix cereal and chocolate chips, cranberries, raisins, and apricot (specific add-ins can also be modified to fit your specific preferences).
- Add peanut butter mixture to dry ingredients and mix until all dry ingredients are completely coated. Press mixture into prepared pan and spread to fill.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least an hour. Cut and serve. Store all remaining bars in the freezer.
The Smart Cookie