Guess what? Yesterday I went outside in shorts. I think Spring is finally here!
In honor of this monumental event, I’m sharing a particularly springy recipe.
Actually, it’s sort of summery, but we’re totally not there yet. Maybe eating one will make you feel like it’s summer? I’m not sure. All I know is that these little lemon balls are really really yummy.
You know what else is pretty cool about these? They don’t really freeze. I mean, you can put them in the freezer- you should put them in the freezer- but they don’t get rock hard or anything. They stay mushy and bite-able and delicious. How cool is that?
My conclusion? You need lemon balls in your life. ASAP.
1/2 cup prunes, pitted
1/4 cup dried cranberries
4 dates, pitted
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup applesauce
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup spelt flour (or all purpose or gluten free)
2 tbsp honey
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Line a large plate with parchment or wax paper.
- Blend on and off until all ingredients are incorporated and mixture is a sticky ball. This may take a couple of minutes. Stop to scrape the sides of the machine as necessary.
- Scoop out about 1 tbsp of mixture and form it into a ball as best you can. Place it on the prepared plate. Repeat until everything in the food processor has been used. Mixture will be sticky, so just try as hard as you can to get the right shape.
- Freeze plate for at least an hour. Over this time, the lemon balls will harden up, but not completely freeze, so that they're easier to handle.
- Enjoy! Recipe makes about 10 balls. Store in freezer.
The Smart Cookie
Summer is coming y’all! Celebrate in style 🙂