I never really mentioned it, but my birthday has officially come and gone. I am now one year older!
This year I decided to make my own cake to celebrate the special day, and I am so happy I did.
It sounds a bit weird, but creating birthday cakes really stretches my creativity to the max. Birthdays only come once a year, after all, so whatever cake I make has to be simply spectacular. This cake totally delivered.
On my birthday when I first dug into the cake, I swear I almost sighed, it was so delicious. And I wasn’t the only one. My whole family loved the cake, digging into their second piece without hesitation. My dad even said it could have been served in a restaurant. Now that’s a big compliment!
Little did my fellow family members know, this cake is also super good for you!
The base is a fat free chocolate chip cake recipe and the decadent frosting on top is, my personal favorite, a tofu chocolate mousse. Combind they create a one of a kind cake that will blow whoever eats it away, whether they know it’s healthy or not.
I don’t care if it’s your birthday or just a monday night. You need to make this cake, and soon.
Mousse Frosted Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax
- 4 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 220 g mori-nu silken firm tofu
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 200 g mori-nu silken firm tofu
- 3 tbsp special dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper (enough to cover sides of pan).
- In a small bowl, mix together flax and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all remaining dry ingredients for cake.
- Combine flax mixture, vanilla, tofu (amount for cake only), applesauce, and maple syrup (amount for cake only) in a blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and mix well until a smooth batter forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan. Smooth on top. Bake in preheated oven for 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make frosting. Combine all ingredients listed under frosting in blender (it can be the same one as before) or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- When cake is done, pour frosting/mousse over the top. Smooth into an even layer.
- Chill cake for at least 6 hours, or overnight, until mousse on top is firm.
- Cut into 16 squares and serve. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Revisited Recipe of the Day: