I like pretzels. I like the crunchy ones, the gigantic ones, and the ones dipped in chocolate.
I also like the healthier whole wheat once covered in honey and cinnamon that you can make entirely from scratch.
But c’mon, honey and cinnamon and carbs and the promise of no guilt. Who wouldn’t love these guys?
Plus, they’re totally do-able to make at home. As long as you keep yeast and whole wheat flour handy, you probably have everything you need to make them in your kitchen now. Oh yeah, and don’t let the bit of yeast in these pretzels scare you. It’s nothing to worry about, and you don’t even have to wait for the dough to rise in this recipe. How awesome is that?
Let’s talk about the glaze now. It’s pretty yummy. All ya do is mix some honey, cinnamon and water together, and then pour a bit on top of the pretzels when they’re done baking. If you wait to eat them long enough, the mixture sort of dries and creates a sweet coating. So. Good. Or you can eat them right after adding the glaze. That’s good to.
Actually, pretty much everything about these pretzel twists is good. Soooo… I think all just stop talking and give you all the recipe. How does that sound?
Honey Cinnamon Pretzel Twists
- 3/4 cup warm water (lukewarm)
- 1 1/8 tsp active dry yeast (1/2 package)
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (see notes below for substitutions)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
A few notes:
1. These pretzels are whole wheat, and they use whole wheat flour. However, if you’d prefer you can use all purpose or even spelt as a substitute. With all purpose the pretzels will obviously be lighter in color, and they’ll probably also be a bit fluffier as well (the whole wheat ones are fluffy too, though).
2. Not into sweet pretzels? No big deal. Though the honey glaze on these guys is delicious, you can easily leave it out if it’s not your thing. How about an egg wash and salt instead? The choice is yours. Just make the base pretzel recipe above and add whatever else you like.
Enjoy the recipe everyone!
Revisited Recipe of the Day:
Whole Wheat English Muffins