This cake is unreal. Just look at it.
2 layers of rich chocolate cake. The bottom one a decadent chocolate cake filled with secret ingredients that will do your body good. The top a creamy chocolate mousse with a protein boost.
Together they creat an amazing dessert, fit for the table of anyone, whether they’re health conscious or not.
I made this cake for my moms birthday a couple weeks ago. I knew it had to be something extra special because my mom didn’t deserve anything less.
This cake delivered. Big time. She loved it, and I couldn’t have been happier.
Double Decker Chocolate Cake
For Bottom Layer (cake):
- 120 g canned beets (about 2/3 cup)
- 130 g frozen cauliflower, thawed (about heaping 1/4 + 1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 12.3 ounce package mori-nu silken firm tofu
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine wet ingredients (this included beets and cauliflower) in food processor and procees until very smooth. No clumps should remain.
- In another bowl mix together dry ingredients.
- Pour wet into dry and mix until a thick batter has formed.
- Scoop batter into a well greased 10 inch pan. Bake for 18 minutes in preheatved oven, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor, (you don’t need to totally wash processor between uses, just quickly rinse and dry) and blend until very smooth and creamy.
- Scoop mousse over baked cake layer and spread into an even layer. You can swirl the mousse a bit for presentaion.
- Chill cake for at least 8 hours before slicing into 10 slices and serving
Just make this.
For christmas, for your birthday, for breakfast. It doesn’t matter. You just need to taste it. And how can you say no when you take a look at the nutrition label below? Answer: You can’t.
*Nutrition information is for 10 slices.
Revisited Recipe of the Day:
Pumpkin Chocolate Mousse Pie