Last week I was hit with an intense chocolate craving.
I wanted chocolate and I wanted it right then and there. Unfortunately, after searching through pretty much every cabinet in the kitchen, I realized that there was absolutely no already-made chocolate in the house.
Now that just wouldn’t do.
My chocolate craving spurred me to create what may be the most chocolatey desserts I’ve ever made. It’s seriously nuts.
A rich, fudgy chocolate cake provides the base of this dish, while a thick and creamy layer of chocolate frosting coats the top. Alone, the cake would be delicious, but with the frosting on top, it’s any chocoholics heaven. What’s more, you won’t believe the crazy ingredients- tofu and avocado- hidden inside this decadent tasting cake. As always, you don’t have to worry about this tasting like your dinner. It’s dessert through and through, I can promise you that.
Just remember to proceed with caution. This dessert is for major chocolate lovers only.
Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
3/4 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup tofu
1/4 cup milk
5 dates, pitted and chopped
3 tbsp canola/vegetable/melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 small avocado, mashed
1/2 cup tofu or yogurt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted (chocolate sauce or spread will work as well)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 8x8 pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, measure tofu, milk, dates, oil, and vanilla. Process until completely mixed together and smooth. Stop to scrape down the sides of the machine as necessary.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheat oven for 17-19 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and cake is firm.
- Set aside to cool.
- Quickly rinse and dry bowl and blade of food processor so that none of the tofu mixture is left.
- Combine all frosting ingredients (avocado, tofu/yogurt, cocoa powder, honey, chocolate chips) in bowl of food processor, and blend until completely smooth. You will know the frosting is finished when it has a smooth and thick consistency and can be held upside down on a spatula without falling. Again, stop and scrape down the sides of the machine as necessary.
- Scoop frosting out of food processor and spread in to an even layer on top of cooling cake. The layer of frosting will be thick, but that is okay.
- Place entire pan on fridge for at least 4 hours (overnight is best). During this time, the frosting will chill and become thicker.
- Once the cake has cooled for long enough, remove from fridge and slice into 16 square. Store leftovers in fridge for up to one week.
The Smart Cookie
I’m thinking that maybe a savory dish is in store after all of this chocolate. I’ve got a killer summer salad that will be coming at you later this week. All my fellow salad lovers, get excited!