Let me tell you, this is crazy good. The cake turned out 100x better than I hoped, and the frosting just put things over the top. Oh, how I wish I had a piece now.
There are some bananas browning on the counter now, though. I think I know what I’ll be making!
Chocolate Banana Cake
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 1/3 cup frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips or chopped normal chocolate chips
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (Greek, coconut, etc) (use dairy free for vegan)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8 square pan
- Mix together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and flax) in a large bowl.
- Combine cauliflower, milk, banana, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until a smooth batter forms. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. It’s OK to use the same one as before without completely washing it. Just rinse everything off and let it dry.
- Blend until mixture is smooth. It may look too thin, but it’s will firm up when it chills.
- Pour frosting over baked cake, and spread around evenly.
- Place in fridge for at least 2 hours, until frosting hardens. When frosting is firm, cut into 16 squares, and serve.
What’s your favorite thing to make with brown bananas?