Take a good look at the Banana Split Bowl below.
Do you see the cake crumble on top? How about the creamy ice cream base? Or maybe you’re eyes are drawn to the drizzle of chocolate sauce, just waiting for a spoon to run through it.
However you see it, this banana split looks pretty darn good, right?
Now, what if I told you it was healthy?
This banana split bowl is actually so good for you, it could even qualify as breakfast.
I know, I know. It’s hard to believe. But I’m not lying. This indulgent dessert really is guilt-free, even if it doesn’t look or taste it.
Banana Split Bowl with Cinnamon Cake Crumble
(makes enough for 2-3 relatively big servings)
- 3 bananas, frozen
- 1 tbsp flour (use a gluten free type if you like)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- chocolate sauce (use vegan brand for vegan split, or make your own)
- about 1/2 cup strawberries chopped
- Blend your frozen bananas in a food processor (not blender) until smooth. It may take a while, but eventually the bananas will turn into an soft-serve ice cream like consistency. Pour blended bananas into a shallow container and freeze until hard.
- Once blended bananas have hardened, start making cake crumble. To do this, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla in a small bowl and mix to combine. Spread batter thinly onto a sprayed microwave safe dish, or a piece of wax paper, and microwave for 90 seconds. If cake is still not cooked, microwave in 30 second rounds until there are no more wet spots of uncooked batter. Let cake cool and then crumble into small pieces. Set aside.
- Now, it’s time to assemble your banana split bowl. Take banana ice cream out of freezer. Allow to thaw a bit if desired, and then scoop like you would normal ice cream, into serving dish. Drizzle chocolate sauce over ice cream, and top with strawberries and cookie crumble. Serve Banana Split Bowl as this time, or freeze, and let thaw before later serving. Enjoy!
Since this recipe is so easy, and so healthy, and soooo delicious, I’m not really sure why anybody wouldn’t make it. But, if for some reason you’re hesitant, I know something to give you that boost you need.
This Saturday is Banana Split Day!
See? You totally have an excuse to make this.
Plus, a healthy banana split, especially a delicious and healthy one, is so much better than any old banana split. Because, c’mon, isn’t it everyone’s dream to eat a whole banana split without feeling guilty?
So, you guys, please make this.
It’s super simple, and certainly pays off. I’m sure it will put a smile on your face, and whoever else you serve it too.
And remember, there’s nothing better than the feeling you get when you make someone smile (whether it’s from a healthy banana split or not).
Revisited Recipe of the Day:
5 Minute Bread Pudding